Friday, February 17, 2017

Staying Emotionally Connected

”Whatever Jesus lays his hands upon lives. If Jesus lays his hands upon a marriage, it lives. If he is allowed to lay his hands on the family, it lives.” 
President Howard W. Hunter


Goddard discussed how having faith in Jesus Christ will bless our marriage. He stated,” When we put God first, all other things fall into their proper place or drop out of our lives. Our love of the Lord will govern the claims for our affection, the demands on our time, the interests we pursue, and the order of our priorities. We should put God ahead of everyone else in our lives.” Sometimes I know I can forget God in my marriage. I’m so busy thinking of my spouse and children and their needs and trying to get things done that I forget to turn to Christ. By simply turning to Christ and putting him first, I could make my life and my families life so much easier and better. It is easy to get caught up in the world and all its demands. Goddard also said,” Satan’s best hope is to keep us from looking up. He must keep us fully absorbed with the trivial, fretting over our inconveniences and stewing over our grievances.” How true that is! When we get so caught up in the things around us we forget to turn to Christ and we play into Satan’s plan. Sometimes I can knit pick over little things or get annoyed with my spouse. I focus on the trivial things instead of the eternal things. When we focus on the eternal things and see things with an eternal aspect, we see things for what they truly are and focus on other instead of ourselves. We also have a softer heart and open mind as we try to better ourselves instead of our spouses. When I focus on Christ and have faith in him, I am full of more love and understanding with my spouse. I try harder to speak softly and forgive more. President Howard W. Hunter was quoted,”Whatever Jesus lays his hands upon lives. If Jesus lays his hands upon a marriage, it lives. If he is allowed to lay his hands on the family, it lives.” I love this quote and it has become a new favorite when thinking of my marriage and the importance of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment